Updated buildscripts (2.2.7)

Matthew Burgess ca9mbu at hermes.sunderland.ac.uk
Sun Apr 13 03:09:09 PDT 2003

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 08:55:09 +0000 (UTC)
gschafer at zip.com.au (Greg Schafer) wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 12, 2003 at 10:58:40PM +0100, Matthew Burgess wrote:
> > 2. Ncurses doesn't get built with the usual CFLAGS and LDFLAGS
> > variables. I now know why (it halted my build for about 30 mins while
> > I tried to figure it out!) but there are no comments in the scripts,
> > or any mention of the breakage in the pure_lfs.txt hint - and yes I do
> > appreciate that the buildscripts are ahead of the hint, just thought
> > I'd leave this as a "reminder"
>
> All the other commands have mention of FLAGS. The ncurses commands do
> not. From that you are meant to deduce that passing FLAGS to ncurses is
> bad :-)

LOL - point taken :)

> I'll say this again, I now regret adding the FLAGS stuff to the hint as
> it diverts from the main focus.

It also got gcc to bail out on me when I tried to set them to CFLAGS="-O2
-pipe" CXXFLAGS="O2 -pipe" - note the missing hyphen for CXXFLAGS.
It broke compilation saying something along the lines of there was an
invalid combination of flags specified.  Even with that huge hint
I failed to see the missing hyphen for a while!  Here's someone else with
the exact same error message, oh and coincidence of coincidences he was
modifying his CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS as well :)
http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-support/2003/01/0665.html

I don't know though, the rationale for having -O2 to effectively prohibit
-g and thus save space through lack of debug cruft in the chapter 5 builds
seems reasonable enough (assuming I've read and understood that right).
Having said that `strip --strip-debug` enables you to remove debug symbols
anyway if space is really an issue.

Do you know how much of an effect -pipe actually has?  The hint says it
speeds things up marginally, but has anyone ever benchmarked it?

> If Gerard ever sticks this stuff in the book, I recommend not mentioning
> any FLAGS at all (except for the global export of LDFLAGS="-s" which is
> 100% safe).

Might keep newbies (and I include myself in that category now :)) at bay
at least.

Regards,

Matt.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org