LFS commands, backslashed line continuations, and fileutils

Kelledin kelledin+LFS at skarpsey.dyndns.org
Sat Apr 19 03:13:31 PDT 2003

Lately, I'm frequently seeing a lot of people having problems
with certain Ch5 LFS packages (notably fileutils), where static
linking doesn't occur like it should.  Of course, these people
are positive they've followed the book to the letter, normally
because they cut-and-paste the commands with their mouse.

I'm betting that when these unfortunate souls cut-n-paste the
commands, the CnP operation is putting whitespace after the
backslash in LDFLAGS=-static.  So of course, the backslash
doesn't have the intended effect, ./configure doesn't inherit
the right LDFLAGS, the package gets linked dynamically, and
users wonder why the commands break in Ch6.  And since the extra
whitespace is invisible on a terminal (duh), the user's going to
have one hell of a time seeing what he did wrong...

I see three things we can do about this:

1) export the proper LDFLAGS on a line by itself, then unset it
when the relevant commands are done.  The disadvantage is that
if a user neglects to unset LDFLAGS for some reason, the wrong
LDFLAGS could get applied to other packages.

2) don't break lines--just put the entire command on one line.
The disadvantage being that people LFS'ing from a bog-standard
80-column tty are going to find certain long commands to be
rather uncomfortable reading.

3) let it be, and continue to put up with poor benighted souls
griping on lfs-support about "exact-to-the-letter" LFS commands
that don't work...

--
Kelledin
it still cost four figures to fix?"