Cross-compiling Hint

tchiwam tchiwam at sgo.fi
Sat Apr 19 05:33:17 PDT 2003

  Hello here,

	I have done some work to build a from anywhere to anywhere cross
build system, here is few suggestions and to find things:

-Make a list of broken, old or not GNU behaving tools examples are:
expr(darwin), sh (solaris), sed (many os) ... I don't know what is the
best in this situation patch the source(my guess) or install the gnu on
the host.

-Use gcc-core 2.95.3 until find a way to make gcc-core-3.2.x without
libgcc, get rid of the make -k hack

-Use the sysroot instead of headers option for gcc configure

-Get the early headers from glibc without make -k

-Compile the cross-gcc from the same version of gcc on the host

-I try to install all the things user level so that in doubt there is no
root rm -rf want-to-be-cross-compiler-chain in the wrong place

so far the best thing I have found is to get the kernel headers 1st, then
binutils, then 1st gcc, then 1st glibc...

you can look at my scrap notes there www.linuxfromscratch.org/~tchiwam
but replace the 1st gcc for gcc-2.95.3...