Another package requires mktemp: glibc

Tushar Teredesai tushar at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Apr 19 07:09:37 PDT 2003

Matthew Burgess wrote:

>Can someone remind me why the version at http://www.mktemp.org/mktemp/ was
>ruled out (the archives aren't giving me much joy here) - it's still being
>maintained so would prevent us from having to do any distro-esque
>maintenance of our own, and if we find any problems with it at least we
>know the maintainer's still around to consider fixes/bug reports.  As far
>as tempfile is concerned I haven't the foggiest about this but I'd imagine
>that it performs the same functionality of mktemp so a shell-script
>wrapper *may* be possible, hence only adding one package to the
>installation.

Another alternative is to not use tempfile at all (mandrake doesn't have
a tempfile binary). There are only three scripts on my system that use
tempfile:

    * /usr/bin/updatedb
    * /usr/bin/bzdiff
    * /usr/bin/bzcmp

It would be easy to patch these to use mktemp instead. That way we can
use an officially released and maintained version.

The following scripts check for tempfile, but also check for mktemp as
the primary/alternate mechanism for tempfile creation:

    * /bin/bashbug
    * /usr/sbin/grub-install

--
Tushar Teredesai