LFS commands, backslashed line continuations, and fileutils

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Apr 21 10:26:06 PDT 2003

On April 19, 2003 04:13 am, Kelledin wrote:

Something else to think about: is it possible to tell bash to simply ignore
whitespace between a backslash and the end of line character?

I think it's safe to say that the only reason somebody puts a backslash at the
end a line intends to continue it on the next line (if not, escape it), so if
Bash can be told to ingore the spurious white space provided the backslash
isn't escaped, then this problem should disappear. We could add to the
beginning of chapter 5 when creating the "lfs" user's .bash_profile file some
option that turns this feature on, somehow.

Or turn it on in Chapter 6 only (in case it requires a recompile of Bash, a
patch, ...)

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org