start-stop daemon

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Apr 21 21:27:14 PDT 2003

On April 21, 2003 05:49 pm, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> Yup.
> root:/# rpm -qf /bin/pidof
> psmisc-21.2-yjl1
>
> I guess that could explain it.

I did some digging around too and psmisc's pidof has these exact problems
where -o isn't working, or not properly. So it comes down to:

a) If you want to use pidof you must use sysvinit's function
b) Do what you did and rewrite the getpids() function, or remove it all
together and go with your start-stop-daemon setup.

> If the sysVinit pidof is better I'll rebuild those rpm's - but I'll
> personally stick with start-stop-daemon for my init scripts since it
> will avoid the problem in the future - even if I install the wrong
> pidof.

That's certainly your option. Your system after all, not mine ;o)

Hey, if nothing else you had fun writing new bootscripts (I hope) and learned
a thing or two along the way.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org