start-stop daemon

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Apr 21 21:33:32 PDT 2003

On April 21, 2003 09:49 pm, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> to modified - but I'm a little leery of something as important as boot

You have the same problems with a few other programs. There's the hostname
program from sh-utils and net-tools. The sh-utils version is quite bad (or I
should say limited) and if you plan to use XFree86, you must use net-tools
version. There's different groups commands (from sh-utils and shadow) and a
few other programs like this.

> scripts being so dependent on a particular version of a binary -
> especially on a system like LFS that doesn't have a package manager to
> make sure the "correct one" doesn't get replaced by something else.

That's where the fun starts. Gotto actually remember the packages contents now
before simply installing a package. It's a lot of work, but it pays off (if
you care to memorize it all of course).

On a different note, when you install psmisc-21.2, the pidof program should
not even be installed unless you make that symlink yourself. There's a note
in the book about sysvinit having a better pidof program. And if you intend
to use sysvinit, you shouldn't create the pidof symlink during psmisc's
installation.

We should expand this note and simply state that you mustn't create the
symlink if you plan to use the lfs-bootscripts package unmodified. That would
clear things up hopefully.

> Anyway - my statusproc() function is attached.
> This with the Debian start-stop-daemon eliminates dependency upon a
> particular version of pidof. So if you guys want it, here it is.

Do you want it to be added to the 'contrib' section of the lfs-bootscripts
tarball? If so, write a short README file to go with it explaining why
somebody might want to use your modifications. You can provide the URL to
this archived thread.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org