PLFS coreutils checks (was Re: Updated buildscripts (v2.2.8))

Erik-Jan ej.lfs at xs4all.nl
Tue Apr 22 17:15:38 PDT 2003

Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> Hmmm except on most linux systems /bin/sh is a symlink to bash, unless I'm
> missing something...

yes it is, but it behaves differently when called as /bin/sh. If I give
myself /bin/bash as shell, it gives the /root/.bashrc-error when I do su
-c 'echo "hi"' erikjanp. If I change my shell to /bin/sh, or add
--shell=/bin/sh, it's all OK. Adding --shell=/bin/bash gives the error
once again. My /bin/sh is a symlink to bash (tested on a very basic
redhad 7.2)

> <snip solaris assumption>
>
> Here's hoping... ;-) but I am not game to build it on a host here ;-)

Nothing wrong with a little guessing ;o)

> Bill Maltby wrote:
> > 4) *If* my tests (in an admittedly uncertain environment at the time)
> > are any indication, rearranging the su statement will also suppress the
> > reading of the /root/.bashrc. I'll know for sure late tonight when my
Couldn't get it to work here (quick check, more later)

> On a side note, managed to get a 2.5.66 kernel booted on a cvs glibc (w
> NPTL)with cvs gcc 3.3 (both from 20030404) from a redhat 6.1 system ( don't
> ask, it was the only CD I could find ;-/ )
cool

Bye,
Erik-Jan
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org