compiling pure lfs on sparc

Adam Trilling agt10 at columbia.edu
Wed Apr 23 22:10:34 PDT 2003

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au wrote:

> I'm guessing here but it looks like the assembler is producing output for
> ultrasparc 64bit where it should be assembling for sparc

He said he was using a netra x1.  This machine uses sparcv9.

I've never tried to build LFS on a sparc, but I've built all sorts of
stuff in Solaris.  Make sure your toolchain is consistent (ie binutils,
gcc, and glibc are all built for the same target).  In this case, you
probably want sparc64-sun-linux-gnu.  Compile everything for 64-bit.

Better yet, build a cross-compile toolchain.  It's entirely possible that
your host distro is hosed in some subtle way the PLFS gurus have yet to
encounter.  Add --target=sparc64-sun-linux-gnu to the configure scripts
for the first builds of gcc, glibc, and binutils.  That way, you'll
generate a toolchain that will run on your host and will generate
binaries for the same target.  You may need to play with paths to get this
toolchain to be the default.

good luck.

Adam Trilling
agt10 at columbia.edu