Missing swap instructions in Book 4.0

Matthew Burgess ca9mbu at hermes.sunderland.ac.uk
Thu Apr 24 13:28:28 PDT 2003

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 20:12:46 +0000 (UTC)
jeroen at adaptr.nl ("Jeroen Geilman") wrote:

> Okay, 5 seconds of hard thinking later I thought: wait a minute, I never
> read any instructions about actually MAKING a swap partition anywhere in
> the Book (4.0).
>
> Which, obviously, is what was missing - I had to run 'mkswap' on the
> partition I set aside for this, in order to be able to use it as swap...

Yeah, I remember thinking this a while back, but I never reported it then
because at the time there was a considerable amount of editing done to
remove the "hand-holding newbies" instructions.  I'm not sure whether the
instructions for mkswap and swapon were removed at that time or not(or
whether in fact it was done purposefully or not).  Just to add some actual
suggestions on this: I'm not sure that leaving such instructions out is a
Good Thing.  I realised what the problem was as soon as I saw it(as did
Jeroen) but surely a couple of hints inside the book (chapter 8 - creating
fstab - looks promising for this) wouldn't go amiss to avoid the
frustration of having to fix things after expecting the reboot into LFS to
actually work.  Or maybe the inclusion of a swap partition in the fstab
instructions was supposed to be a subtle hint to go away and setup the
swap partition - if so it was too subtle for me. Whether that says more
about me or the subtlety of the hint I'm not sure :)

Matt.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org