GCC 3.2.3 advice on upgrades please

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Fri Apr 25 16:15:10 PDT 2003

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 08:22:26PM +0100, Mark Hymers wrote:
> On Fri, 25, Apr, 2003 at 07:27:28AM -0400, Zack Winkles spoke thus..
> > Richard A Downing <geek109 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > > Now, out comes GCC 3.2.3, which is just a bug fix.  So can I just
> > > build it as a replacement (overwrite) for gcc 3.2.2?
> >
> > You can install GCC 3.2.3 in complete safety. If you want to install
> > 3.2.3 and overwrite 3.2.2 complete, you'll have to remove the stuff that
> > GCC left over, which off the top of my head are the following things:
> >
> > /usr/lib/gcc-lib/*-linux-gnu/3.2.2/ (everything in that)
> > /usr/include/c++/3.2.2/ (same)
> > /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5.0.2 (3.2.3 installs libstdc++.so.5.0.3)
>
> Yeah, I sometimes wonder if we shouldn't suggest adding something like:
> --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/3.2
> to solve the problem of having multiple includes around.
>
> I'm sure Greg will now explain why this is a bad idea :-)

Not a bad idea at all. But a better idea is probably using the
"--enable-version-specific-runtime-libs" switch. It separates the libs and
includes quite nicely. But if installing multiple gcc's into the same
prefix, some other steps are necessary to make it all work seamlessly.

Ryan has been a fan of that switch since before we wrote the PLFS hint. I
resisted the pressure to put it in the hint as IMHO it's more of a "LFS
Power User" thing rather than something suitable for the masses.

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org