[TWEAK] More info on the gcc speedup issue

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Apr 26 18:27:30 PDT 2003

On March 3, 2003 04:32 am, Greg Schafer wrote:
> Interesting. But at the risk of repeating myself, large C++ projects is
> supposed to be where the real benefits are.

Kind of late piping in. Right around the same time you posted your first
message that started this thread I conducted an interview with Mark Mitchell,
GCC's release manager and he also mentioned work was being done on this kind
of patch (I think I mentioned this interview at least on lfs-chat), so I went
and did some testing.

I didn't see any actual compile time differences here with C++ projects, so
here ya go. A link to an article I wrote at work (OSDN) a while back now:

http://tools.devchannel.org/article.pl?sid=03/03/05/1521240&mode=thread&tid=39

The main beef is a 20 minute decrease in ompiling qt-3.1.1 which I found
pretty exciting. All of KDE has gone down by a whole lot. I didn't keep track
of how much time I saved on a KDE installation but  it's probably somewhere
between 30 mins and an hour.

Anyways, old news now I know. If nothing else it'll make a nice archive entry.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org