GCC 3.2.3 advice on upgrades please

Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au
Mon Apr 28 00:52:21 PDT 2003

> Not a bad idea at all. But a better idea is probably using the
> "--enable-version-specific-runtime-libs" switch. It separates the libs
and
> includes quite nicely. But if installing multiple gcc's into the same
> prefix, some other steps are necessary to make it all work seamlessly.

Yep, you have to pretty much install all of your gcc's with
--program-suffix=-${GCC_VERSION} and
--enable-version-specific-runtime-libs.

Make gcc, g++, cpp etc symlinks or hardlinks to the driver binaries for
your chosen standard system compiler.

Switch compilers with gcc -b ${target} -V ${version}
( will use /prefix/bin/${target}-gcc-${version} as gcc driver prog )

Note however that the --program-suffix switch DOES NOT work for 2.95.3, so
you manually have to move the installed binaries to append the version.

As for the c++ libraries, they live in /prefix/gcc-lib/${target}/
${version}/.

I'm not too sure as to the best way of keeping multiple versions of these
around, but generally get by by setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point at the
reqd c++ libs before compiling an app.

After compilation its just a matter of writing a wrapper script to pass the
correct LD_LIBRARY_PATH during runtime.

> Ryan has been a fan of that switch since before we wrote the PLFS hint. I
> resisted the pressure to put it in the hint as IMHO it's more of a "LFS
> Power User" thing rather than something suitable for the masses.

Will probably do a small hint along these lines at some point...

Regards
Ryan

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org