Update to current packages or PLFS first?

Tony Sequeira tony at sequeira.com
Wed Apr 30 04:47:54 PDT 2003

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 07:39:26 -0400, Zack Winkles wrote

> Archaic <archaic at indy.rr.com> wrote:
> > For the intermediary, might I suggest the switch to coreutils (5.0
is
> > released as stable) and grub? Grub-0.93 is a major change from 0.92
> > and will closely resemble 1.0.
>
> I'm completely agreeing here. Keeping that old LILO around is causing
> trouble for those who want to use newer kernels. Any version of LILO
> lower than version 22.5 absolutely refuses to compile on the newer dev
> kernels (not good). Yes, I know the book doesn't use a 2.5 kernel, but
> already catered to 2.5 in some places already
(/usr/include/asm-generic
> for instance). Either move to GRUB or update LILO, but what we have
now
> just ISN'T WORKING! IMHO ;)

Sounds great, move to GRUB, and help me, as I could NOT get GRUB
working with a separate boot partition (non LV) and other LVM
partitions. IMO the boot scripts needed a lot of hacking to get this
combination working, so I decided to shelve it for a future date.

--
Tony
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org