Update to current packages or PLFS first?

Andrew Fyfe a.fyfe at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Apr 30 14:42:14 PDT 2003

Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> On April 29, 2003 10:25 pm, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
>
> How about a third possibility.
>
> Update to PLFS and latest packages all at once. There's not a lot of testing
> that needs to be done on these latest packages anyways. I've installed LFS
> systems already and did not encounter any problems, except for that minor
> Glibc hickup with it needing /bin/pwd and that header file (assert.h IIRC).
>
> Normally I wouldn't suggest doing these two major things at the same time, but
> pure-lfs and the newer packages have had a lot of testing already. All that's
> left is update the version numbers, and a new patch here and there.
>
> I'll let you guys ponder on that one and declare me either crazy or efficient
> ;o)

This sounds like the best option at least for glibc-2.3.2 and gcc-3.2.2.
Didn't some people have problems compiling glibc-2.3.2 and gcc-3.2.2
using the current lfs build system?

Also it would be nice to see the make check/tests included in the book
for all packages. This can save a lot of time and hassel if anything
should go wrong, rather than waiting until you boot into your new system
to find something doesn't work.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org