Lessons to be learnt from recent events

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Sun Feb 2 20:37:02 PST 2003

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 09:04:16PM +0100, Miguel Bazdresch wrote:
> Two questions occurred to me out of the blue:
>
> 1. Have you guys, just out of curiosity, compared the binaries (kernel,
> glibc, gcc, other packages) produced by the book and those produced with
> your method?

No, not yet. I plan to research this aspect at some stage. But our focus is
really all about a re-design of the build method to take any doubt out of the
equation.

> 2. In order to have a really "pure", "pristine" toolchain, one whose
> integrity no senior kernel hacker can doubt, shouldn't we be building
> the kernel with the gcc version recommended by them (2.95.3 as of
> 2.4.19, if I'm not mistaken)?

I do this on my own systems, and yes I believe this is something LFS needs
to look at. Some mention of this will eventually go into the hint.

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org