Pure LFS - latest work in progress

Richard Lightman richard at nezumi.plus.com
Mon Feb 3 05:48:07 PST 2003

* Greg Schafer <gschafer at zip.com.au> [2003-02-03 12:01]:

> TODO
> ====
>
>   - remainder of Chapter 5 packages
* You can skip bzip2, patch and tar if you unpack the sources with the
  host's tools.
* You can skip findutils
* You should can skip util-linux if you do the mounts from the host
  environment. This simplifies keeping the host's /etc/mtab file
  correct.

>   - Chapter 6

I am using the simlink forest to remove some dependencies, and
makefiles (so the build order is only limited by dependencies).
This means the results below are not strict LFS.

If you want the depenancies I use, just ask.

>   - look at "make check" stuff

Chapter 5 results:

bash:      make tests # warnings caused by system dependent output
gawk:      make check # ALL TESTS PASSED
glibc:     make check # requires something I have forgotten
grep:      make check # lots of failures becuse the test scripts do not
                        execute permission.
gzip:      make check # gzip test OK
make:      make check # 78 Tests Complete ... No Failures :-)
sed:       make check # All 42 tests passed
sh-utils:  make check # Warning about POSIXLY_CORRECT. One test skipped
                        because stdin is not a terminal.
texinfo:   make check # All 17 tests passed
textutils: make check # Warning about POSIXLY_CORRECT. All tests passed.

Chapter 6 results
I am currently compiling gcc, so there are a few more to find.

bash:      make tests
ed:        make check # tests completed successfully.
fileutils: make check # Might miss some tests because I do not run
                        tests as root. Did miss some tests because
                        perl is not installed. Didi miss a test because
                        I did not set RUN_EXPENSIVE_TESTS to yes.
findutils: make check # requires dejagnu
gawk:      make check # ALL TESTS PASSED
gettext:   make check
glibc:     make check # requires something I have forgotten
grep:      make check # lots of failures because the test scripts do
                        not execute permission.
gzip:      make check # gzip test OK
m4:        make check # All checks successful
make:      make check # Regression PASSED: GNU Make 3.80 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) built with gcc
perl:      make test
sed:       make check # All 42 tests passed
sh-utils:  make check
tar:       make test  # All 10 tests passed
texinfo:   make check # All 17 tests passed
textutils: make check # Warning about POSIXLY_CORRECT. All tests passed.
zlib:      make test  # *** zlib test OK ***

autoconf:  make check
e2fsprogs: make check
flex:      make bigcheck
libtool:   make check

>   - look at ways to remove /usr/include from gcc's include search path

>From info '(gcc) Environment Variables'
     `CPATH' specifies a list of directories to be searched as if
     specified with `-I', but after any paths given with `-I' options
     on the command line.  The environment variable is used regardless
     of which language is being preprocessed.

This would not stop someone putting /usr/include back with -I

>   - look at ways to remove unwanted dirs from "gcc -print-search-dirs"

Perhaps GCC_EXEC_PREFIX. see info '(gcc) Environment Variables'

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org