Pure LFS - latest work in progress

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Mon Feb 3 14:19:28 PST 2003

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 23:01:21 +1100 Greg Schafer <gschafer at zip.com.au>
wrote:

> Hi lfs'ers
>
> Here is the latest installment of pure LFS from Ryan & myself. Starting
> to come together nicely we think. It's now in a shape where you can
> begin to try it out and test it. We'd be very happy if testing-minded
> folk could start pounding on this stuff and report your findings.
>
> Feedback, comments, criticisms, all welcome (to the list).

>Thirdly, we switch off the "hash" function of the bash shell like so:-
>

>   set +h

Why should this be necessary? It would only affect the commands we run on
the interactive shell we use to build LFS, i.e. commands like make, cp,
mkdir. It does not affect the non-interactive shell that runs configure.

>    mkdir ../binutils-build &&
>    cd ../binutils-build &&
>    CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe" ../binutils-2*/configure --prefix=/stage1 \
>       --disable-nls &&
>    make -e LDFLAGS="-s" LIB_PATH=/stage1/lib &&
>    make install
>
>The only curious command here is the use of "make -e". We need to do this
>>so that the LIB_PATH=/stage1/lib gets passed down to the sub-make
>process >during the build of ld. Some people may consider this "impure"

It IS impure. A toolchain built with the use of make -e simply is not a
good toolchain. The make -e was removed from the LFS build instructions
back in 2001 after I demonstrated that is messes up gcc's build process
BAAAADLY. If a package built with make -e works, this is just luck. The -e
actually stands for "evil". DO NOT REINTRODUCE IT INTO THE BOOK!

Check

http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-dev/2001/08/0965.html

for more information.

For your convenience I have attached my little demonstration of how deeply
intrusive -e is. Drop the three Makefiles into a directory and try
"make" and then "make -e". Which output do you prefer?

MSB

--
Modesty marks the wise.