Lessons to be learnt from recent events

Chris Lingard chris at stockwith.co.uk
Mon Feb 3 14:40:14 PST 2003

Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> On February 1, 2003 05:55 am, Oliver Brakmann wrote:
>> Alternatively, call the current CVS book LFS 4.1, not 5.0.
>
> Probably will do that in light of these recent development.
>
> About delaying the book: not a real option. I have a deadline to work with
> in regards to getting the book published. Whatever is in the book right
> now will remain the way it is, except for some bug fixes if any show up.
> No new features or packages though.

The book Version 20030129 is probably worthy of a release; though I
prefer calling it version 5.0 because of the changes to gcc/glibc

I think you should release this ASAP, though I have not tested the
glibc stuff; I am using this version right now with KDE 3.1.

There are interesting changes ahead, like gcc. And these would be better
considered in a 5.1

The gcc fault was a good thing for LFS, but a terrible thing for GNU.
The gcc-3.2.1 will cause trouble for years. We got a bit carried away
with adding new packages; but the strange thing was that the bug was
discovered here, and not by GNU or the distros.

Chris

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org