cvs commit: LFS/BOOK/chapter05 fileutils-inst.xml (from lfs-book)

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Tue Feb 4 00:04:25 PST 2003

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 07:49:24AM +0100, Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> gerard at linuxfromscratch.org wrote in lfs-book at linuxfromscratch.org:
> >  +<para>There is a documented bug with the atexit() function in
> >  glibc-2.2.3
> >  +when it is compiled with gcc-2.95.3. This bug only occurs on some
> >  systems
> >  +(primarily AMD, but not exclusively). This bug causes segmentation
> >  faults
> >  +in fileutils-4.1 when it is compiled statically. This patch causes
> >  +on_exit() to be called instead of atexit().</para>
>
> I thought this explanation was invalid according to Greg?

Yes, but.. I don't have any proof. All I know is.. around that time
(glibc-2.2.3 and 2.2.4) lots of people who didn't really know what they were
doing (me included :-) were building very broken systems..

My objection to the clause is that it comes across as half baked. The book
in general is very factual. That clause is not very fact based IMHO.

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org