Patch for MAKEDEV Script

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Feb 4 05:00:52 PST 2003

On February 4, 2003 03:39 am, you wrote:
> I was thinking to make a more heavy work on the script, that will implies a
> lot of changes in the big switch case structure. The way that I think to
> rewrite it whould make, the script more slow(because of more recursive
> calls), but more easy to maintain, regarding to the
> linux/Documentation/device.txt file. Do you think that I can start to work
> on it, and send patches.

Sure but before you rewrite the entire script I suggest you email a draft to
the lfs-dev list first detailing what you plan to change. We can then first
discuss it before you do all the work possibly for nothing.

Also we have planned on changes already. Matthias has submitted something
called make_devices, we are planning on just adding a few mknod commands so
people learn about it and can add their own devices a lot easier. This is all
part of Bug #131

> I also thinks, it's a pitty that the kernel doesn't provides any standard
> tool (afaik) to build the devices.

That tool is supposed to be devfs, but it's not stable yet. I have heard
rumours that devf is being done away with and a totally new system is being
developed, but I don't know any specifics as of yet.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org