GCC: --with-slibdir

Tushar Teredesai tushar at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Feb 4 11:23:16 PST 2003

Kelledin wrote:

>On Tuesday 04 February 2003 10:15 am, Tushar Teredesai wrote:
>

>>The book adds the above switch when configuring gcc. On my
>>system none of the root partition files link against libgcc.
>>So the switch *may* be invalid.
>>
>>If the switch is to be left in the book, then an explaination
>>for the switch needs to be added.
>>

>Ditto here.  Even on my fully loaded, beyond-BLFS system, none of
>the files in /bin, /sbin, or /lib link against the gcc libraries
>(except, of course, for the gcc libraries themselves ;).  Some
>stuff (specifically C++ stuff) links against them, but that
>stuff isn't on the root partition.
>
>I say we move the libraries to /usr/lib.

There is one strange thing though, twice I have managed to have some
binaries in /bin (such as bzip2) linked to libgcc. A recompile of the
concerned package fixed it.

I don't know why it happened and I am waiting for it to happen again to
decipher the cause. It may be related to the 'gaseous anomalies' that
appear occassionally in the gcc quadrant.

--
Tushar Teredesai
   http://www.geocities.com/tushar/

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org