Finally!

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Tue Feb 4 19:31:02 PST 2003

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 06:25:04PM +1100, Greg Schafer wrote:
> Q. How hard can it be to get a patch applied to gcc?
> A. Very hard indeed.
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-cvs/2003-02/msg00143.html
>
> Even then, it has only been applied to the gcc-3.2 branch, not 3.3 or HEAD
> (3.4). Too bad, coz I'm not going to harass those guys anymore. By the time
> we start using those newer releases, we might have a sane binutils version
> number..

2003-02-03  Chris Lingard <chris at stockwith.co.uk>
            Dan Osterrath <do3 at mail.inf.tu-dresden.de>

        * configure.in: Handle binutils versions with 4 dot separated
        numbers.
        * configure: Rebuilt.

Chris, Dan, congratulations. Name up in lights! Hrmm, well not quite..

Is there any chance you guys could rework that patch to cope with 5 digits?
There is some talk on the gcc list to sort this out once and for all..

The immediate crisis is over as your original patch is applied to the 3.2
branch and SHOULD be in the final 3.2.2 tarball.

But it would be nice to put this sucker to bed for ever.. and that sed stuff
just does my head in :)

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org