GCC: --with-slibdir

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Tue Feb 4 20:50:53 PST 2003

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 10:33:28PM -0600, Tushar Teredesai wrote:
> Greg Schafer wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 10:15:07AM -0600, Tushar Teredesai wrote:
> >

> >>The book adds the above switch when configuring gcc. On my system none
> >>of the root partition files link against libgcc. So the switch *may* be
> >>invalid.
> >>
> >>If the switch is to be left in the book, then an explaination for the
> >>switch needs to be added.
> >>

> >http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-dev/2002/07/0029.html
> >

> I am pretty sure the binutils I was using was post 2.12 since this
> happened sometime around Christmas. Guess I must have hit a problem
> similar to the GAS_HIDDEN bug and hence the binutils must have been
> built without detecting PT_GNU_EH_FRAME. Dunno! Anyways...

Possibly, but I think it had more to do with our dodgey build method.

Here is another post that mentions something similar:-

http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-dev/2002/12/0454.html

When we moved to using --with-as= & --with-ld=, these sorts of problems went
away.

Bottom line, the slibdir thing is a remnant of the past. Now that we don't
link every execuatble against the libgcc, it should be safe to drop it as
only the C++ binaries link against it.

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org