Comments from a (very!) newbie.

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Feb 5 10:47:35 PST 2003

On February 5, 2003 04:08 am, Ian Molton wrote:
> 1) The book is maybne a little light on setting up the build partition.

I agree.

> 2) The book didnt seem to be clear to him on where to extract his
> sources. he ended up extracting to (and building in)
> /mnt/lfs/static/src/

Because it doesn't matter where you extract them. Do it wherever seems
appropriate. That's one of the first decisions an LFSer gets to make: where
to build.

> 3) The build instructions for binutils are a bit odd, in that the book
> encourages you to 'cd' into the sources, and then immediately mkdir and
> cd one directory lower.

Yes a but clumsy but it's assumed that people unpack the sources and then 'cd'
into the directory created by 'tar' before they run any of the other
commands. We could insert a sentece like "Whereas normally you would cd into
the directory created by tar, in this case don't do this". We can then list
the two mkdir/cd commands or just tell them to create a different directory,
cd into that one and then continue with the installation instructions.

> 4) Does the book make a mention of /what/ you can delete as you go?

The FAQ does.

> 5) the $LFS variable /could/ be put into that .bash_profile, dont ya
> think?

It is. Read the part in chapter 5 where the environment is setup for user
'lfs'. You create lfs user's ~/.bash_profile file containing:

cat > ~/.bash_profile << "EOF"
umask 022
LFS=/mnt/lfs
LC_ALL=POSIX