Comments from a (very!) newbie.

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Wed Feb 5 11:04:07 PST 2003

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 18:48:24 +0000 (UTC)
gerard at linuxfromscratch.org (Gerard Beekmans) wrote:

> On February 5, 2003 04:08 am, Ian Molton wrote:
> > 1) The book is maybne a little light on setting up the build
> > partition.
>
> I agree.

I am personally of the opinion (as someone else mentioned) that the book
should NOT be built in a seperate partition at all. There is NO extra
degree of seperation to be gained, so why bother?

> > 2) The book didnt seem to be clear to him on where to extract his
> > sources. he ended up extracting to (and building in)
> > /mnt/lfs/static/src/
>
> Because it doesn't matter where you extract them. Do it wherever seems
> appropriate. That's one of the first decisions an LFSer gets to make:
> where to build.

Well, bear in mind these comments come from a (very) newbie. Thats why I
mentioned them - the /intent/ may be to give the newbie a chance to
'decide', but the effect is simply to confuse. I think the book should
specify a location, if only to allow us to more easily diagnose problems
when a newbie does something odd.

Any slightly-not-so- newbie will know they can build source wherever
they like...

> > 3) The build instructions for binutils are a bit odd, in that the
> > book encourages you to 'cd' into the sources, and then immediately
> > mkdir and cd one directory lower.
>
> Yes a but clumsy but it's assumed that people

<cut>

Yes, I agree. I was just was mentioning it incase anyone had a better
suggestion.

> > 4) Does the book make a mention of /what/ you can delete as you go?
>
> The FAQ does.

But the BOOK also mentions that you should (as a matter of
doing-it-properly') delete installed sources. if the book says this, it
wouldnt hurt to be explicit about it.

> > 5) the $LFS variable /could/ be put into that .bash_profile, dont ya
> > think?
>
> It is.

Oops. I guess my dad must have missed $LFS when he read me the output of
'export' nevermind :)
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org