Comments from a (very!) newbie.

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Feb 5 11:21:09 PST 2003

On February 5, 2003 12:04 pm, Ian Molton wrote:
> I am personally of the opinion (as someone else mentioned) that the book
> should NOT be built in a seperate partition at all. There is NO extra
> degree of seperation to be gained, so why bother?

The idea is that you build an LFS system, then boot from it and hopefully make
it your primarly Linux system eventually. To make things easiest you would
want a dedicated partition. Might as well set it up right from the start.

> Well, bear in mind these comments come from a (very) newbie. Thats why I

Yes and teh book isn't geared towars Linux newbies. We assume experience
compiling source and such things already. There's a hint being written that
might be good reading material; listing the pre-reqs:
http://hints.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/prereading.txt

That would be a good hint to add to the book.

> Yes, I agree. I was just was mentioning it incase anyone had a better
> suggestion.

I'd like to hear it too if any has one.

> But the BOOK also mentions that you should (as a matter of
> doing-it-properly') delete installed sources. if the book says this, it
> wouldnt hurt to be explicit about it.

It doesn't contain that anymore. We decided a long time ago to remove a lot of
that handholding for linux newbies material. This issue was one of them. If
you look at chapter 1 the "how to build package" and such don't exist
anymore.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org