another newbie thing...

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Wed Feb 5 14:42:27 PST 2003

Another point my dad has raised (being new to linux).

It is confusing to a relative newcomer that we unpack packages using tar
-v.

The reason is that whilst the package is unpacking into a subdirectory,
it looks, to the untrained eye, as if the files are being 'listed', as
thouh you were in the same folder as them.

I recommend that the book encourage people not to use -v but instead to
encourage people to do:

tar jxf <package>
ls

which gives a newbie a better idea of what has happened (ie. a directory
appeared in the $PWD, not a big stack of files.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org