An idea: isolate libs [was: Pure LFS]

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Thu Feb 6 14:25:53 PST 2003

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 01:50:44PM +0100, Miguel Bazdresch wrote:
> It seems like we're trying to prevent, at all costs, from linking to the
> host's libraries.

No, its not at all costs. It is not absolutely essential. It is just a nice
thing to do when wanting to be truly anal. In fact, at some stage when we
are finished writing the hint, I will write a separate smaller doc, that
will basically be a "not quite as pure LFS" whereby it will draw on the
principles from the hint, but take lots of shortcuts. The result will not be
as clean as the full blown hint, but it will be a lot easier for folk to
digest. And even this trimmed down version will be a huge improvement over
the current LFS build method.

The current hint is too large to keep posting to the list all the time so I
have put the current state of play up at:-

http://www.zipworld.com.au/~gschafer/pure_lfs.txt

Most of the concerns raised have been addressed. Ryan has done loads of
"make checking" and is convinced there is no flakeyness as hinted to by
Jack with his Hurd builds.

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org