GCC 3.2.2

torsten torsten at inetw.net
Thu Feb 6 16:07:32 PST 2003

On Thu the 06 Feb 2003 at 17 hours EST
JB wrote...
>On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 16:40:11 -0600, torsten wrote:
>
>> On Thu the 06 Feb 2003 at 15 hours EST JB wrote...
>>>from freshmeat's summary:
>>>
>>>"Beginning with 3.2.2, GCC's Makefile suite supports redirection of
>make>>install by means of the DESTDIR variable"
>>>
>>>Sweet!
>>>
>>>Jack Brown
>>
>> I've been making good use of a epkg and DESTDIR lately, but I've had
>> trouble with the compiler.
>>
>> Programs are linking to compiler libraries, and they won't run if I
>> remove it, or change compilers.
>>
>> I read the two-compiler hint, and I don't really think it is a
>> reasonable way to manage a system.  Usually when I remove a piece, I
>> don't like the old libraries hanging around (system decays over time,
>> making it difficult to manage).
>>
>> So, is there a way to separate the compiler from the system?  Or is
>> forever tied to glibc, ergo the system?
>>
>> Torsten
>
>I've never played with epkg so I can't really comment on that, but
>assuming that the problem is with programs linked to libgcc_s.so.1, I
>think you can pretty much just install the new version of gcc over top
>of the old one and things should work fine. I know I did this with my
>own system not too long ago and nothing broke.
>
>Jack Brown

libstdc++ is the problem.  Mozilla binary is compiled againt it
dynamically,
obviously not the version with my compiler.  I just create a symlink,
and
mozilla seems to be happy.

This may be a "purity" issue - having binaries linked to old libraries
does
not sit well with me.  I think this is what SCO does - sell ancient
libraries
that people still need to run their ancient (but very useful/productive)
programs.

Here's a quick run down of epkg.  Notice it points out some
interdependencies
between gcc and binutils.
epkg-root -k gcc   //check which compiler is installed
epkg-root -1 gcc   //back down to the previous version
epkg-root gcc      //jump back to the new version

I do this to compile my kernel with 2.95.3, but everything else gets 3.2
3.2 is required for octave-devel.

Torsten

//check which compiler is installed
toshy:root:/# epkg-root -k gcc
epkg: checking package gcc...
  > reading Encap source directory...
  > checking package gcc-3.2
    !  usr/bin/c++filt: link to package binutils-2.13
    !  usr/lib/libiberty.a: link to package binutils-2.13
    > check successful
  > checking package gcc-2.95.3
 ! check failed
//let's back down one version
toshy:root:/# epkg-root  -1 gcc
epkg: installing package gcc...
  > reading Encap source directory...
  > removing package gcc-3.2
    > removal partially successful
  > installing package gcc-2.95.3
    !  usr/bin/c++filt: conflicting link to package binutils-2.13
    !  usr/lib/libiberty.a: conflicting link to package binutils-2.13
    > installation partially successful
//let's install the original gcc
toshy:root:/# epkg-root  gcc
epkg: installing package gcc...
  > reading Encap source directory...
  > removing package gcc-2.95.3
    > removal partially successful
  > installing package gcc-3.2
    !  usr/bin/c++filt: conflicting link to package binutils-2.13
    !  usr/lib/libiberty.a: conflicting link to package binutils-2.13
    > installation partially successful
toshy:root:/#

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org