another newbie thing...

Johan Veenstra j.h.veenstra at stud.tue.nl
Thu Feb 6 16:48:31 PST 2003

Ian Molton wrote:

> Another point my dad has raised (being new to linux).
>
> It is confusing to a relative newcomer that we unpack packages using tar
> -v.
>
> The reason is that whilst the package is unpacking into a subdirectory,
> it looks, to the untrained eye, as if the files are being 'listed', as
> thouh you were in the same folder as them.

zlib-1.1.4/README
zlib-1.1.4/FAQ
zlib-1.1.4/INDEX
zlib-1.1.4/ChangeLog
zlib-1.1.4/configure
zlib-1.1.4/Makefile
zlib-1.1.4/Makefile.in
zlib-1.1.4/Makefile.riscos
zlib-1.1.4/Make_vms.com
zlib-1.1.4/adler32.c

Well the repetitive 'zlib-1.1.4' should hint the user of the book at the
fact that zlib-1.1.4 is a (new) directory.

Johan Veenstra
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org