GCC 3.2.2

Jack Brown jbrown at kmts.ca
Thu Feb 6 19:40:43 PST 2003

On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 18:07:31 -0600, torsten wrote:

> Here's a quick run down of epkg.  Notice it points out some
> interdependencies
> between gcc and binutils.
> epkg-root -k gcc   //check which compiler is installed epkg-root -1 gcc
>  //back down to the previous version epkg-root gcc      //jump back to
> the new version
>
> I do this to compile my kernel with 2.95.3, but everything else gets 3.2
> 3.2 is required for octave-devel.
>
> Torsten
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------- //check
> which compiler is installed
> toshy:root:/# epkg-root -k gcc
> epkg: checking package gcc...
>   > reading Encap source directory...
>   > checking package gcc-3.2
>     !  usr/bin/c++filt: link to package binutils-2.13 !
>     usr/lib/libiberty.a: link to package binutils-2.13
>     > check successful
>   > checking package gcc-2.95.3
>  ! check failed
> //let's back down one version
> toshy:root:/# epkg-root  -1 gcc
> epkg: installing package gcc...
>   > reading Encap source directory...
>   > removing package gcc-3.2
>     > removal partially successful
>   > installing package gcc-2.95.3
>     !  usr/bin/c++filt: conflicting link to package binutils-2.13 !
>     usr/lib/libiberty.a: conflicting link to package binutils-2.13
>     > installation partially successful
> //let's install the original gcc
> toshy:root:/# epkg-root  gcc
> epkg: installing package gcc...
>   > reading Encap source directory...
>   > removing package gcc-2.95.3
>     > removal partially successful
>   > installing package gcc-3.2
>     !  usr/bin/c++filt: conflicting link to package binutils-2.13 !
>     usr/lib/libiberty.a: conflicting link to package binutils-2.13
>     > installation partially successful
> toshy:root:/#

  I'll just point out also that this is not an interdependancy, it's a
conflict.  Both gcc and binutils are installing files named c++filt and
libiberty.a with overwrites the version installed by the other.  This has
been discussed quite a bit in the past so you might want to look over the
archives for posts regarding duplicate files or something similar).

Incidentaly has anyone ever some up with an unintrusive way to supress
the installation of these files?  (preferably for gcc) seems to me that
if someone reinstalled gcc without  also reinstalling binutils, the
libiberty.h might no longer correctly corespond to the libiberty.a
library.

Jack Brown
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org