[FIXME?] (was Re: Ch6 gcc: Don't run fixincludes)

Kelledin kelledin+LFS at skarpsey.dyndns.org
Fri Feb 7 15:33:06 PST 2003

On Monday 27 January 2003 05:29 pm, Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au wrote:
> > For now I too vote replacing 'make install' with
> > 'make install-no-fixedincludes"
> >
> > Any objections?
>
> OK, I'm doing a slightly alternative build to you guys
> (specifying --enable-version-specific-runtime libs, as I also
> install gcc-2.95.3 for the kernel build ), but you may want to
> check that your c++ headers get installed.
>
> ( check /usr/gcc-lib/SYSTEM-TRIPLE/3.2.1/include where system
> triple will most likely be i686-pc-linux-gnu for most of you )
>
> I had no c++ directory...
>
> Creates a few issues with the ncurses build.
>
> Solution was after make install-no-fixedincludes
> cd SYSTEM-TRIPLE/libstdc++-v3
> make install
>
> Maybe its just me, but I wouldn't count on it...

It's not just you.

I just started a new LFS myself.  First time through with gcc, I
did it pretty much "by the book".  I got the c++ headers in
/usr/include/c++, all was well.

Later I rebuilt gcc with --enable-version-specific-runtime-libs
(my more usual method of building gcc).  I missed my c++
headers. :(  Thankfully, Ryan's solution worked.

Should we make a note of this in the book?  Technically, when
following the book to the letter, this problem doesn't crop up.
Still, I think it at least deserves a comment, as I would
suspect that Ryan and I aren't the only ones who use
--enable-version-specific-runtime-libs.

--
Kelledin
it still cost four figures to fix?"