really strange problem

Bill's LFS Login lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Fri Feb 7 17:17:48 PST 2003

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, James Iwanek wrote:

> i just built the latest LFS cvs (20030205) all worked fine except for the
> second glibc compile which failed with the error:
><snip>

> -L.. -L. -L../elf
> -L../dlfcn -L../nss -L../nis -L../rt -L../resolv -L../crypt
> -L../linuxthreads
> -Wl,-rpath-link=..:.:../elf:../dlfcn:../nss:../nis:../rt:../resolv:../crypt:../linuxthreads
> -o libm.so -T
> libm.so.lds ../csu/abi-note.o -Wl,--whole-archive libm_pic.a
> -Wl,--no-whole-archive ../elf/interp.os ../libc.so ../libc_nonshared.a
> ./libm.so: file not recognized: File truncated
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [libm.so] Error 1
><snip>

> anyway turns out that the file libm.so was missing from the glibc-build/math
> directory - so i copied the version built at the start over the missing
> version - started the make again and this time it just overwrote it with
> libm.so.new
>
> either glibc has a major attitude problem or ive got a REALLY strange system
> ;-) - everything installed properly AFAIK couple of updates (latest stable
> gnu bits) and coreutils-4.5.6
>
> anyone got any ideas whats wrong?

Nope. But in the hope that it tells you something worthwhile, I just
finished the same CVS build. My only problem came when the make
oldconfig didn't use the CPU, ramdisk and initrd settings from the
config I copied in. Had to scratch my head, do a diff, swear a little at
it, make adjustments and all was ok.

--
Bill Maltby
lfsbill at wlmcs.com