An idea: isolate libs [was: Pure LFS]

Steve Martin srm at netcomuk.co.uk
Fri Feb 7 17:39:51 PST 2003

On Sat, 2003-02-08 at 00:07, Tushar Teredesai wrote:
> Steve Martin wrote:
>
> >I have attached a little doc which attempts to explain the magic number
> >3 iterations; I think that clarifies why 3 iterations are necessary and
> >why a gcc bootstrap takes 3 passes.  I would suggest, based on my
> >current tests, that bootstrapping the gcc builds in the purity hint is
> >unnecessary.
> >
> If the first pass gcc is built using make bootstrap, then it is built
> using a pure gcc. So only two passes will be required. Correct or am I
> missing something?

The first pass still uses an impure binutils, bootstrap will still use
an impure binutils for each stage.  If I understand what is going on
correctly.  This is why make bootstrap is unnecessary, it just lengthens
the build time.

--
Steve Martin <srm at netcomuk.co.uk>

Still can't think of anything witty to write here.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org