Comments from a (very!) newbie.

Alex Groenewoud krisp at wanadoo.nl
Sat Feb 8 02:51:37 PST 2003

Ian Molton wrote:
> gerard at linuxfromscratch.org (Gerard Beekmans) wrote:
> > On February 5, 2003 04:08 am, Ian Molton wrote:
> > > 2) The book didnt seem to be clear to him on where to extract
> > > his sources. he ended up extracting to (and building in)
> > > /mnt/lfs/static/src/
> >
> > Because it doesn't matter where you extract them. Do it
> > wherever seems appropriate. That's one of the first decisions
> > an LFSer gets to make: where to build.
>
> Well, bear in mind these comments come from a (very) newbie.
> Thats why I mentioned them - the /intent/ may be to give the
> newbie a chance to 'decide', but the effect is simply to confuse.
> I think the book should specify a location, [...]

Yes, the book should name a location.  As in chapter 5 the gcc of
the host system is used, it seems most logical to do the unpacking
and building on the host system, in the home directory of user lfs.
I suggest adding the following line to the section on "Adding the
user lfs", after the useradd and passwd commands:

  A convenient place to unpack and build the packages of this
  chapter is the home directory of lfs.  To allow lfs to install
  the built programs into the $LFS/static directory, issue the
  command:

(The second line is to replace the "In order..." line.)

Alex
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org