Pure LFS - latest work in progress

Bill's LFS Login lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Sat Feb 8 07:06:16 PST 2003

In pure_lfs-0201.txt, 'Chapter 5 - Installing kernel headers', it says:

    In normal LFS we install the kernel headers in Chapter 6. But seeing
    as we are now installing a glibc in Chapter 5, we need to install
    the kernel headers in Chapter 5 also.

    The procedure is essentially the same as current LFS with the excep-
    tion that the headers are copied to /stage1/include. In other words,
    follow the procedure from current LFS (minus the /bin/pwd hacks) and
    substitute "cp blah /usr/include" with "cp blah /stage1/include".

But the LFS CVS 20030205 book also includes this in it's Chapter 6:

    touch /usr/include/linux/autoconf.h

which seems to me to be not the right thing to do here. Being very
ignorant of all this stuff, my *guess* is it should not be done until we
finish all the binutils/gcc/glibc stuff, figuring that the issue it
solves will not occur until chapter 6. But, I presume that once we enter
(or otherwise process like) chapter 6, we would need a modified form of
this? Like

    touch /stage1/usr/include/linux/autoconf.h

Regardless, if we should (not) be modifying or doing it here, it would
help as a reminder to those of us who follow, in ignorance, that we
should remove or modify that statement.

That's all for now folks.

--
Bill Maltby