really strange problem

James Iwanek chthon at chthon-uk.com
Sat Feb 8 08:12:04 PST 2003

Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> torsten wrote:
>
>>I think it was an out of memory error.  Linux has never managed
>>the swap well, and many programs fail rather than make use of it.
>>
>>As it stand, my system is very busy, and swap is about 60% full.
>>
>>So, I quit some programs, recompiled php, and all worked.
>>My laptop has only 192M ram.
>>

> Programs don't manage swap, the kernel does.  Programs can't tell the
> difference between swap and RAM (except for execution time).  If you run
> out of RAM and swap, the kernel automatically starts killing processes.
>  That could have caused your problem.
>
>   -- Bruce

256MBram and 2GB swap - bout 32mb ram free and only 20MB swap used - im
inclined to believe the 2GB swap problem is still in 2.4.20 - either that
or ive got faulty modules, dunno but its all working now so nevermind -
nice to know im not the only person with this problem tho - gonna try to
remake glibc just to see if it was a memory error

-----
Jay
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org