libgcc_s.so.1

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Sat Feb 8 19:10:08 PST 2003

On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 05:42:40PM -0600, Jack Brown wrote:
> While its true that having the *.so symlinks in /lib won't break the
> system, /usr/lib is the proper place for them, since they aren't needed
> for boot up, only when compiling packages, so in some sense this is still
> a bug, howver now as serious as what the OP implied. For my part I
> install the whole shebang into /usr/lib.

Agreed. I suppose the real problem stems back to the beginning when the
slibdir thing was first introduced. The lib definitely needed to be in /lib
but the symlink (used during compiling only) could quite safely have lived
in /usr/lib. As Gerard has already decreed, it will be changed after the
next book release.

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org