An idea: isolate libs [was: Pure LFS]

Rui Ferreira ruifmferreira at sapo.pt
Sun Feb 9 16:02:24 PST 2003

Jack Brown wrote:

> I like the fact that this produces a 100% self hosted toolchain. all
> "dynamicly linked and installed into their final location packages which
> were compiled by the sameversion of them selves" are compiled by
> "dynamicly linked and installed into their final location packages which
> were compiled by the sameversion of them selves"
>
> I can't really see where this would have any pitfalls, with the one
> possible exception of the kernel ABI inported into the chrot environment

Where is this better then the old way of just make lfs twice?
- Use the host system to build lfs1
- boot lfs1
- Use lfs1 to build lfs2
- Keep lfs2

In the final system we have packages that have been compiled 4 times, 3 of
which were with the exact same version.

I think that this is all about reaching purity with the minimum required
efford.
If we can stablish that the only packages that need to be pure to produce a
pure system are binutils, gcc and glibc, then, we'll not need to compile
anything else - just work with their static versions all the way.
And also, how and how many times do they need to bootstrap (the toolchain).
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org