An idea: isolate libs [was: Pure LFS]

Rui Ferreira ruifmferreira at sapo.pt
Sun Feb 9 18:16:19 PST 2003

jsmaby at virgo.umeche.maine.edu wrote:

> gcc being the worse of the two (odd, since it's the only package that
> bootstraps just to avoid the problem).
(...)
> mean one unnecessary build, but would give one piece of mind (what if the
> starting distro is exceptionally braindead, and needs 5 bootstraps?).

I'm not into programming and compiling my own stuff but I pay as much
attention as I can to everything that is said here.
I remember someone explaining the gcc bootstrap workings and mentioning
that you can specify the number of stages gcc will make to bootstrap.
I had this in mind when I wrote:

static-gcc:       B(a(abc)b(abc)c(abc))
                  B(a(abc)B(abc)c(abc))
                  B(a(abc)B(aBc)c(abc))<- It needs three stages

dynamic-gcc:      B(A(ABC)B(aBc)C(AB-))
                  B(A(ABC)B(ABC)C(AB-))<- Here, only two

And yes, this is a b__l-s__t, elementary-school level explanation. :(

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org