Pure LFS - latest work in progress

Rui Ferreira ruifmferreira at sapo.pt
Sun Feb 9 18:35:14 PST 2003

Greg Schafer wrote:

In
"The key differences between this approach and current LFS are:-
(...)
 * the rest of Chapter 5 is built against the new glibc..."
refering to the other packages (bash, bzip2, fileutils, etc)

What's the point of compiling these against the new glibc?

Won't bzip2 compress the files in the same way?
Won't patch apply the patch files the same way?
Won't ls, ln, cp or mv do their jobs like they always did?

What's wrong with building a library-less system to start from?

Then do whatever is required to clean the toolchain, before compiling the
final system.

NOTE: I was also looking for a way to build a glibc first to compile ch.5
against it, but now that it is being done, I can't see the point anymore!

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org