Revised LFS-4.1 release notes

Matthew Burgess ca9mbu at eos.sunderland.ac.uk
Mon Feb 10 12:24:00 PST 2003

"Gerard Beekmans" <gerard at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote in message
news:200302101302.55344.gerard at linuxfromscratch.org...
> First thing is an index at the end of the book. A tech book without an
> is kind of 'weird' so to speak and I've been asked to add one. So I'll
have
> to figure out how to do this. No way we should maintain an index
manually.
> I'm not sure how to go about this in an XML format, but I am fairly
certain
> there are good tools to do this in LaTeX.

Is the XML still under the Docbook DTD or did it get converted to LFSML?
If it's still in docbook then there's the <indexterm> element you can
wrap around any items you want put into the index.  Yes it's manual, but
it'd probably give much better control as to what gets placed in the
index in comparison to an automated tool.  See
http://docbook.org/tdg/en/html/ch02.html#ch02-makefrontback for details
if this applies.

> But first things first: get that index created somehow. Like I wrote
above, if
> I can't get it automated through XML I might have to go the LaTeX way
and
> generate HTMl, PS and PDF from the LaTeX document instead of the XML
one.

Are the docbook-dssl stylesheets being used for conversion to the
various formats?  If so then rendering of <indexterm> elements should be
automatic.  All you need now is for a concerted effort of volunteers to
go wrapping them elements around words willy-nilly style!

Regards,

Matt.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org