vim patch no longer needed

Zack Winkles winkie093 at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 10 12:50:33 PST 2003

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 20:41:06 -0000
"Matthew Burgess" <ca9mbu at eos.sunderland.ac.uk> wrote:

> "Zack Winkles" <winkie093 at bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> news:20030210153513.1c2d371a.winkie093 at bellsouth.net...
> > (see subject line)
>
> Why is it no longer required?  I thought it was to fix a gcc-3.2+
> compilation problem.  There's been no official release of Vim since
> (although they do have a patch available on the ftp server - one of
> 320 I don't fancy finding the exact reference now).  Does
> gcc-3.2.1/gcc-3.2.2 somehow manage to cope with Vims' broken syntax?

well if you had actually LOOKED at the patch you would realize that it
doesn't fix syntax at all, it just removes some configure magic dealing
with /usr/local/include. gcc 3.2 made a huge mess of this and usually
barfed, but as the release notes for 3.2.1 (and therefore 3.2.2) state,
this is no longer the case. and hell, if you don't believe any of this,
just try compiling vim without the patch and with it, then diff the
binaries ;)
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org