Revised LFS-4.1 release notes

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Feb 10 13:23:01 PST 2003

On February 10, 2003 01:24 pm, Matthew Burgess wrote:
> If it's still in docbook then there's the <indexterm> element you can
> wrap around any items you want put into the index.  Yes it's manual, but
> it'd probably give much better control as to what gets placed in the
> index in comparison to an automated tool.  See
> http://docbook.org/tdg/en/html/ch02.html#ch02-makefrontback for details
> if this applies.

Looked into <indexterm> tags and can't even get it to work after a first look.
I did look at the examples, added some <indexterm> tags here and there, added
the <index/> tag which is supposed to then build the actual index, but alas
it won't.

But even if it did build one, we get a HTML based index. This would be utterly
useless when a PDF is created (the PDF is needed to ship of to the printing
house) because it won't have page numbers. htmldoc is leaving much to desire,
for instance all the package installations in chapters 5 and 6 should start
on a new page. I haven't been able to tell htmldoc to do this. It'll only
start on a new page when a new chapter starts.

htmldoc is quickly becoming a tool that I can't use for professional PDF
generation. I'm looking at other software now, but I have had first hand
experience with converting latex files to PDF and that output looks great
(like I've posted to the list quite a while ago). Maybe I should look into
docbook2latex conversion and go from tehre.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org