Revised LFS-4.1 release notes

jsmaby at virgo.umeche.maine.edu jsmaby at virgo.umeche.maine.edu
Mon Feb 10 13:32:12 PST 2003

> htmldoc is quickly becoming a tool that I can't use for professional PDF
> generation. I'm looking at other software now, but I have had first hand
> experience with converting latex files to PDF and that output looks great
> (like I've posted to the list quite a while ago). Maybe I should look into
> docbook2latex conversion and go from tehre.

A few pointers if you go the LaTeX route:

The default bitmap fonts created by dvips are tuned to a 600dpi lj4
printer.  You may want to find out what kind of printer the press uses,
or at least what kind of resolution it can handle (as when you start
getting up there, it's really only the dpi that matters).

Next, turning the ps file to a pdf via ps2pdf will ruin all that hard
work, and scale down to 300dpi by default (plus seriously compress
image files if there are any).  I use the following which will preserve
the best quality (that I've found):
%.pdf: %.ps
        gs -dSAFER -q -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite \
           -sOutputFile=$@ -dCompatibilityLevel=1.1 \
           -dPDFSETTINGS=/prepress  -c .setpdfwrite -f $^

Note that if you use postscript fonts (i.e. Times and Courier), this
doesn't really matter.  If you play around with some of the vector
software that's out there, you might be able to come up with a nice
LFS logo in eps format so you don't have to worry about dpi at all
for anything.
-James Smaby
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org