gcc patch vs install-no-fixedincludes

Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au
Mon Feb 10 15:10:33 PST 2003

Zack Winkles wrote:
> over the past few days i've run into quite a few discrepencies with the
> make target 'install-no-fixedincludes'. the most obvious to the naked
> eye is the (useless) rebuilding of libgcc_s.so. this is totally
> unnecessary and not present with the use of the patch.

True

> also, for some screwed up reason, gcc refuses to install the c++ headers
> without the patch.

Yep, spotted that a while ago too, pretty annoying but you can just cd into
the libstc++-v3 dir and run make install...

> another little nitpick is this: even though we don't (shouldn't)
> run fixincl.sh ANYWHERE in the makefile, we still end up with the
> /usr/lib/gcc-lib/*/*/include/fixed file, totally empty, doing absolutely
> nothing, and misleading anybody who cares to look at it.

>From the changelog
Thu Apr 14 23:33:17 1994  Ian Lance Taylor  (ian at tweedledumb.cygnus.com)

      * Makefile.in (gcc-no-fixedincludes): Touch gcc/include/fixed, not
      gcc/stmp-fixproto, to try to prevent fixproto from being run.

> all of these
> issues are not present with the use of the patch. anybody else care to
> second me? anybody care to tell me i'm being a dumbass? let me know.

No you aren't being a dumbass :-), I noticed these after moving on to Gcc
3.2.1 for the "Pure" build and they are a minor annoyance but not a show
stopper

Looks like the no-fixed-includes option was there to suit the needs of the
cygnus folk ( back in the day :-) ) and may not suit our needs entirely...
But again its no show stopper :-)

May take a harder look at this sometime soon, see if we can include a fix
( bad pun unfortunately intended ) :-)

Regards
Ryan

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org