Host distro for Building LFS

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Tue Feb 11 22:49:56 PST 2003

I was just reviewing the current CVS version of LFS and note that there
are no recommendations for the host distro for building LFS.  I can say
from watching a student that we don't want to try building an LFS system
form RH 6.2! I'd suggest putting a comment in the Introduction, probably
the section "How things are going to be done" about what distros are
suitable.  If you don't want to talk about specific distros, then at
least a minimum environment (gcc, glibc, binutils, etc) needs to be
specified.

I think that has been discussed before, but I can't remember the
discussion's conclusion.  In any case, I feel that the book should
discourage new LFS builders from using obsolete tools for chapter 5.

You also might want to mention the type of hardware that the book
targets.  Although non-Intel LFS systems have been built, it would be
beneficial to mention that the instructions do specifically target Intel
compatible hardware.

BTW, what is the least powerful LFS system?  I know someone did it in a
P-133, but is that the least powerful sytem that's been done?

  -- Bruce

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org