Host distro for Building LFS

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Tue Feb 11 23:02:13 PST 2003

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 12:49:56AM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> I was just reviewing the current CVS version of LFS and note that there
> are no recommendations for the host distro for building LFS.  I can say
> from watching a student that we don't want to try building an LFS system
> form RH 6.2! I'd suggest putting a comment in the Introduction, probably
> the section "How things are going to be done" about what distros are
> suitable.  If you don't want to talk about specific distros, then at
> least a minimum environment (gcc, glibc, binutils, etc) needs to be
> specified.
>
> I think that has been discussed before, but I can't remember the
> discussion's conclusion.  In any case, I feel that the book should
> discourage new LFS builders from using obsolete tools for chapter 5.

Bruce, not directly related to your post, but it is worth pointing out that
the new pure LFS build method that Ryan and myself are working on has the
potential to MASSIVELY increase the range of host distros for building LFS
from. As long as it can build binutils and has a C compiler capable of
bootstrapping gcc, then that should be all that is needed. Even RH 6.2 :-)

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org