Host distro for Building LFS

Richard A Downing richard.downing at bcs.org.uk
Wed Feb 12 00:56:13 PST 2003

Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> BTW, what is the least powerful LFS system?  I know someone did it in a
> P-133, but is that the least powerful sytem that's been done?
>
> -- Bruce

I built LFS 2.4 from Debian potato on a 486DX2/16, admittedly with lots of
scsi disk.  I even built qt/kde on it, but only ran it once!

This was the last system I ever had with a 'distro' on it, all my subsequent
systems have 'evolved' from that base.  I don't believe in paying money for
software - or even hardware if I can get away with it!

Many of us use LFS as a firewall/router on 486's.  Isn't Ian Molton trying
to run LFS on a PDA?

As to a 'book recommendation', I would think something along the lines of:
'If you haven't already obtained a working Linux you probably shouldn't be
trying to build LFS.  But if you insist, we recommend Chris Lingard's CD
version of LFS obtainable at...'

--
cheers,
Richard.